Reflecting on a “Stellar” Vacation Bible School
Chapel Hill Church has a great tradition each summer to gather children and elementary kids for five days in what we now call Summer Blast VBS (formerly known as Day Camp). This past week, from 9:00 am to noon, we had about 130 volunteers serving together to shine the light of Jesus’ love to 160 kids! Our theme was “Stellar: Shine Jesus’ Light”, and the kids had a blast absorbing the light of Jesus all week and then taking that light and love into their summer with the people God has put in their lives. This “Stellar” theme was full of faith-building fun.
We will celebrate our week during both of our worship services tomorrow. It will be a Family Sunday where the whole family will be together in the large Sanctuary during both the 9:00 and 10:30 am services this week. You’ll be able to hear more about our VBS week and the kids and leaders will sing some of our songs during the 10:30 am service. If you have kids, please be sure to bring them to the 10:30 am service, as there is not going to be Kids’ Worship. (Childcare is provided during both services.)
Each year at VBS, we encourage kids to participate in our “Kid-to-Kid” outreach to bless others in our community. This year, we asked families to donate cold cereal boxes each day for our local outreach partner GHP Fish Food Bank to help meet the needs of families experiencing food insecurity. The kids enjoyed a bit of competition among the four large groups to see which one could be the most generous with their donations. Families brought in a total of 446 boxes of cold cereal, and each child on the winning team got a whole packet of stickers which will remind them of our daily themes.
Here were the main themes for each day:
- Bible Point: When life feels dark, shine Jesus’ light!
- Bible Verse: Jesus said, “I am the light of the world.” (John 8:12)
- Bible Story: Jesus comes as a baby to be king (Luke 2:1-20; Matthew 1:18-2:12)
- Bible Point: When people don’t get along, shine Jesus’ light!
- Bible Verse: Live in harmony with each other. (Romans 12:16)
- Bible Story: Jesus accepts Zacchaeus (Luke 19:1-9)
- Bible Point: When good things happen, shine Jesus’ light!
- Bible Verse: Shout with joy to the Lord, all the earth! (Psalm 100:1)
- Bible Story: Jesus enters Jerusalem as a king (Luke 19:28-40)
- Bible Point: When people are sad, shine Jesus’ light!
- Bible Verse: Don’t let your hearts be troubled. Trust in God. (John 14:1)
- Bible Story: Jesus cares for his mother during his crucifixion (John 19-20)
- Bible Point: When people need help, shine Jesus’ light!
- Bible Verse: Let your good deeds shine…so that everyone will praise your heavenly Father. (Matthew 5:16)
- Bible Story: Philip helps the Ethiopian (Acts 8:26-39)
Overall, this year’s VBS was more than just a summer blast…it was out of this world!
We still have a need for volunteers to lead a small group at our Kid’s Worship this Summer. Sign up here to fill a spot or two through the summer. Thank you for your help!
And a great opportunity for grandparents: I want to encourage you to sign up for the Legacy Grandparenting Summit event happening Saturday, October 21, 9:00 am—4:30 pm at Chapel Hill. If you want to see your grandchildren follow Christ, leave a legacy of love, and influence generations of your family for Christ, then this event is for you! The Legacy Grandparenting Summit will be a simulcast event in the Gathering Place. Register here. Right now, the cost is just $49/person until September 10. It will be $59/person Sep 11—Oct 19, and $69/person the day of the event. I hope to see you there!
Senior Director of Family Ministries