What did I learn about Jesus?
- Before Jesus began his ministry he defeated Satan using God’s Word.
- Jesus’ first message was, “Repent, for the kingdom of heaven is at hand.”
What did I learn about disciple-making?
- To follow Jesus we need to learn the Word.
- Disciples immediately respond to the call of Jesus to follow him.
Extended thoughts and observations:
How do we recognize the voice of Jesus?
GREAT question. Two thoughts:
- Jesus fought the devil with the Bible. Every quote he used to deal with temptation came from the scriptures. The more we read the Word, the more we will understand God’s will.
- Also, the closer you get to Jesus, the more you recognize things that are out of character for him…and thus, for those who belong to him. And that’s exactly what you are doing by studying the gospels! Well done.
For me, the temptation story speaks of deadly spiritual shortcuts. Every one of the things the devil promised Jesus, he would eventually get: food, deliverance from death (in resurrection) and power (he is Lord of all)…but the means…submitting to the devil and bypassing the harder way…made it all toxic. No shortcuts!
Also…notice that Jesus only began his ministry after a bout with the devil. When we are about to do the most good for the Kingdom…that’s when the devil wants to derail us, maybe? OR…it is out of our weakness that God raises us up to greater things, maybe?
Blessings to all of you as you walk in his word today.